Botox and Dysport are prescription medications used most commonly to smooth facial wrinkles. The two medications are very similar in their uses and effectiveness in providing numerous cosmetic benefits.
At Las Vegas Laser and Lipo, we can help you fight the signs of aging through Botox and Dysport treatments. Our medical team, led by Dr. Zimmerman, can evaluate your skin and recommend a customized treatment plan to give you optimal results. Contact Las Vegas Laser and Lipo today to schedule your consultation.
Botox is a purified form of botulinum toxin. The American Academy of Facial Esthetics (AAFE) reports that Botox treatments are the most frequently performed minimally-invasive cosmetic procedure in North America. Close to 2.5 million Botox treatments were performed in 2008 alone.
Dysport, also known as Reloxin, is another form of botulinum toxin that doctors have used in Europe for numerous years. The Federal Drug Administration recently approved its use in the United States. It is distributed by the company Medicis while Botox is available through Allergan.
Botox and Dysport are used to:
- Improve the look of moderate to severe frown lines between the eyebrows (glabellar lines)
- Improve the look of moderate to severe crow’s feet lines around the side of the eyes
- Treat the symptoms of severe underarm sweating (severe primary axillary hyperhidrosis) when topical medications are not effective
The use of these medications for cosmetic enhancement have become so popular for the following reasons:
- They offer safe and effective treatment for numerous types of wrinkles
- The procedure is minimally invasive with no recovery time
- Clinical results are very quick
- Low incidence of side effects
- Excellent complement for other cosmetic enhancements such as laser skin resurfacing or dermal fillers
- Delays the need for more invasive facial cosmetic surgery
- Provides a more youthful and refreshed appearance for a special occasion
Botox and Dysport are injected into the facial muscles with a very small needle. The sensation of a bee sting upon injection is common. Injections near the eyebrows sometimes results in a “crunching” sound as the needle penetrates tissue.
It is a very quick process which softens the appearance of wrinkles. The medication works by blocking the nerves that contract the facial muscles. The results of the injections become visible in two to ten days. The effects typically last three to six months depending on several factors including:
- The amount of Botox or Dysport injected
- The lifestyle choices of the patient
- The metabolic rate of the patient
We may request a follow-up appointment several weeks after the initial administration to assess the patient’s response. It is even possible that complete relaxation of the targeted muscles may not be achieved until the second or third treatment.
The reappearance of wrinkles in trouble areas signals that the treatment needs to be repeated. Once the muscles have become accustomed to a relaxed state, the maintenance regimen can frequently be reduced. These medications aren’t recommended for women who are breastfeeding, pregnant or plan on becoming pregnant.